The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Complete Sonatina Symphonic converted to Music Studio

Share your sampled instruments and kits

Complete Sonatina Symphonic converted to Music Studio

Postby Maarten1978 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:31 am

EDIT: please let me know if there are any problems with the instruments and I'll try to fix them. For example, I've found three instruments with nasty clicks and pops at the start of the samples. They have been fixed and can be downloaded below.

Pffff, the work is done. I've converted the entire Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra library (SSO) to Music Studio Instrument Format. All credit for the sounds goes to Mattias Westlund, who compiled the original SSO library, which is available for free here: http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/. As a reference to the original library, I've added "SSO" at the end of each Music Studio instrument.

Because some of the files are too big to add as an attachment to this post, I've zipped the entire set of instruments (69 in total) into a single file that can be downloaded with the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5YFgTlKjm5FemFCNHZCUnAtRmM/edit?usp=sharing

After downloading on your iPod/iPhone/iPad, choose 'open with Music Studio'. Music studio wil unzip the file after which you can load the different instruments.

I really like Music Studio for its fast workflow and hope that you'll make some great music with these instruments. Alex, thanks for this great app. I hope you'll make it even better in the future. A few suggestions for a future update:

- Track Freeze (I imagine that a handful of SSO intruments eat up memory pretty quickly. Track Freeze
like in Cubasis would be a great addition to Music Studio)
- Inter App Audio Effects (Kymatica Space and Dub and Music Studio would make a good team...)

Maarten
Maarten1978

Re: Complete Sonatina Symphonic converted to Music Studio

Postby PaulB » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Some other instruments were found to have problems and I happen to have fixed them as I found them, so at Maarten's request I'm posting them here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kp0luywi2zogftx/pi8ZkfHPZI

See this thread on the Audiobus forum for context.
http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2368/complete-sonatina-symphonic-orchestra-for-music-studio

Be aware I had already renamed the instruments in order to sort them by orchestral group, so the names are not the same as the instruments they are intended to replace. Which is which should be fairly obvious though.
PaulB

Postby Alex » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks a million for the effort you put into this! The quality is astounding!
I'd put all the percussion samples into one kit in order to get a drum pad matrix of all of them.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Maarten1978 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 pm

@Alex: I'm glad you're happy with the end result and I hope the other Musicstudio users are too. I'll make one big orchestral percussion instrument and post it here, although I'm not sure if I can fit all the notes from all the instruments into one Drum matrix.

I have an old Roland XP30 that has some nice sounds. Do you think Roland would mind if I made some instruments for Musicstudio? The unit has been discontinued for quite some time now.
Maarten1978

Postby Alex » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:06 am

Maarten1978 wrote:I have an old Roland XP30 that has some nice sounds. Do you think Roland would mind if I made some instruments for Musicstudio? The unit has been discontinued for quite some time now.

I don't think Roland would mind, especially if you don't make any money from it. Sample libraries of the famous 808 have been sold by other DAW and sample library creators without permission for ages. I'm not an expert but afaik legally it's a grey area because the manuals of most hardware instruments don't state that creating sample libraries is prohibited.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Bianca » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:28 pm

I can't get the original zip file to download from google and the Dropbox file only seems to contain a small sample of the orchestra.

Any chance of putting the whole collection on Dropbox.
Bianca

Postby Maarten1978 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:10 am

@Bianca: I've justed tested the file and it downloaded without a problem from Google drive. Could you please try again? Furthermore, the dropbox file PaulB uploaded only contains a few of the corrected instruments that you should use as replacements for the corresponding files in my Zip file. Let me know if it works out.
Maarten1978

Postby Bianca » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:42 am

Had to use Ifiles to do the download but I'm glad I did, thanks for your hard work making these.

One thing I did notice though is some instruments don't cover the whole range, I wonder if at some future update we could have the same warning for user instruments that we have for the built in instruments that the instrument doesn't play all the notes.
Bianca

Postby Maarten1978 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:04 pm

@Bianca: the reason some instruments don't span the whole range is that (imo) the instrument would sound unnatural in the high and low regions when stretching a sample acros several octaves. However, you can easily
change this in the the sampler. Simply drag the sample border towards the highest or lowest note you want it to cover.
Maarten1978

Postby Bianca » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks, I'd already worked that out.

There's an interesting guide to orchestral range here.....

http://soundprogramming.net/file_format ... nstruments

Just thought having the same warning on user instruments as you already get on the built in instruments might be handy.
Bianca

Next

Return to Instruments and Kits