Customizable scale and tonality

Official update plan and feature suggestions

Customizable scale and tonality

Postby Dkavhuie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 pm

I think this may be on the, we may get to it someday list, but I don't use an exteral MIDI device, nor am I an accomplished keyboard player...but apps like Korg Gadget, Thor, Sunrizer, and Tera Synth allow you to constrain (and display only) the keyboard to notes in a specific scale and tonality. I've had Music Studio for over 3 years, and find myself using it less and less du to this limitation.

But, only Gadget among these has even close to the quality of piano roll editor or quantization in Music Studio. Not sure of the development complexity, but it's a must have for me.
Dkavhuie

Re: Customizable scale and tonality

Postby Maarten1978 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:52 pm

+1 for keyboard scales. It's tedious to control musicstudio with an app like Thumbjam that does offer playable scales on the keyboard. i'd rather only use Musicstudio
Maarten1978

Re: Customizable scale and tonality

Postby 1_Yui » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:58 am

I don't really understand this request. I saw it on forums of other apps like this, too, and I don't really get the point of it. Why is it a "limitation" to be able to use all tones of all scales? It gives you the maximum flexibility and doesn't stop you from only writing in a certain scale at all. In fact, such a feature would be quite a limitation for creativity in my opinion, as the notes that are out-of-scale are sometimes the most important ones. You can't write any complex chord progression like that, you can't even switch the scale once in your whole track.
All in all I don't think such a feature would be necessary. I prefer a normal keyboard with white AND black keys. If you want no problems with notes being out-of-scale, simply use C-major or A-minor (the white keys) and transpose it in the end.
1_Yui

Return to Feature requests