The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

MIDI pitchbend problem

Official update plan and feature suggestions

MIDI pitchbend problem

Postby ChargelyLectro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Hello makers of Music Studio. I am using the mobile app, and the pitchbend feature on this app is very tricky to work with, especially while producing midi files. I would like to see this taken care of, preferably as soon as possible.

To show you what is going on, I tried to make a Quarter-tone scale and export it as a MIDI. I made two semitone scales and used the pitchbend feature (overwrite mode) on one of the scales to bend the pitch upwards 50% of a semitone. (I held my iPhone at an angle continuously while the thing was recording to produce the bend) I then offset the notes of this scale and merged the scales to create a full quarter-tone scale.

here's what was on the original Song file:

image.jpg
What was on the original music file
image.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 4669 times

If you look carefully, the second note of each note pair has a pitchbend of 50% a semitone, making a quarter scale. All notes are also the same length, just to let you know.

Now, when I exported the file as a MIDI, this is what I got:

image.jpg
The resulting midi
image.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 4669 times

As you can see, EVERY note (aside from the first in the scale) now has a pitchbend of 50% a semitone. Apparently, the notes that were not supposed to have any pitchbend on them were affected by the ones that did, and the preceding note's pitchbend SHOULD have been cut off once the unpitchbended notes began playing.

So, can you put an option in the "export as midi" menu for every new note in the midi file to automatically reset the pitchbend back to zero and cut off the preceding note's pitchbend data once the new note begins playing? It is issues like these that makes the pitchbend function of this app very troublesome and very hard to work with, especially for Midi purposes.
ChargelyLectro

Re: MIDI pitchbend problem

Postby Alex » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:03 am

Thanks for reporting this bug!
The cause is that Music Studio stores pitch bend data per note, while the MIDI format stores pitch bend data per track. The conversion can (theoretically) not be perfect, but it could certainly be better in the case you described. I'll put it on our list of future improvements.
Image Image
Alex

Postby ChargelyLectro » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Alex wrote:Thanks for reporting this bug!
The cause is that Music Studio stores pitch bend data per note, while the MIDI format stores pitch bend data per track. The conversion can (theoretically) not be perfect, but it could certainly be better in the case you described. I'll put it on our list of future improvements.

(Sorry for the third-of-a-year long hiatus)
Thanks. I'm glad that you are taking a consumer's reports into consideration. I also noticed just now in the current mobile version that when converting to Midi, the pitchbend is capped off at 2 semitones on both ends. When the midi converter comes across a pitchbend that is over 2 semitones (either up or down) the part that goes over stays at two semitones. Do you think you can fix this as well?
ChargelyLectro

Postby Alex » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 am

Yes, for version 3.0 (a free update) we aim for an improved MIDI export that writes the pitch-bend range.
Image Image
Alex

Return to Feature requests