Desktop Version?

Official update plan and feature suggestions

Desktop Version?

Postby Vigilante96 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:56 pm

I've been making music for a couple of years (rap specifically), and I have to say, your app is one of the best made and easiest to use I've ever encountered. I use it for recording, mixing, editing, and some production, too. However, there is one thing that always bothers me, though it's not because of the app itself. When I'm editing, the touch screen can get a bit finicky when I need to do precise cuts and edits. So that got me wondering, have you ever considered creating a desktop version, and if so, do you have any information on the status of that?
Vigilante96

Re: Desktop Version?

Postby Alex » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding a desktop version, see this old post, the situation hasn't changed:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=239&p=855
Image Image
Alex

Re: Desktop Version? - Possible Work-around

Postby AlanBell68 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:59 am

I too have wished that there was a desktop version. I use Music Studio on my iPad, but have also been interested in the development of the Android version, as I have my PC configured in Dual Boot with Windows 10 and Remix OS PC.

In case you are not familiar with Remix OS PC, it is a free operating system based on top of the Android x86 project, which allows you to run Android software on x86 compatible chip sets. Where Remix differs, however, is its GUI, which is keyboard and mouse based and is a lot like the Windows 7 style interface. You can run apps in full screen or multiple apps in resizable windows at the same time. It comes in 32 and 64 bit versions and, though still in beta, seems to be particularly robust.

Today I have installed the lite version of Music Studio for Android on Remix and have been playing around with it. Mouse clicks for real-time keyboard recording is not really do-able, but note by note editing appears to be just fine. Playback is of good quality, as good as on my iPad or iPhone 6s. I am sharing my files between my iPad and Remix using Drop Box.

If, after further experimentation, I find that this is useful, I will more than likely purchase the Android version for this sole purpose.

This may be something for others to try out. Remix OS PC can also be installed on a bootable flash drive, something I would try first to make sure it works okay with your setup. Here is the link to the Remix OS PC site.

http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc

For the record, I am not affiliated with jide, Remix, or have any connection with the project, but thought that this may provide "the next best thing" to a native desktop version.
AlanBell68

Postby Alex » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Wow, thanks for that awesome tip! I've never heard of Remix OS until now, I too will try it out...
Image Image
Alex

Postby thegussimpson » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:46 am

In case anyone didn't hear, Google announced that their Chromebooks would begin supporting their Play Store, giving Chromebooks the ability to run Android Apps. Just today, the first Chromebook model received this update (the Asus Chromebook Flip C100). This update turns Chromebooks, essentially, into Android Laptops.

What's really excellent about this is that the Flip is a touch screen, and the screen folds back so it can be used like a tablet. Now, I don't have one yet because I've been holding out for the update, but I will be getting one and I am absolutely eager to try Music Studio on it.

So, there may be hope yet! :D
thegussimpson

Postby AlanBell68 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:09 pm

I successfully installed the lite version on my Dell Inspiron laptop, running Remix OS. The model I have has a touch screen that folds back as a tablet, flat against the keyboard. With the touch screen, it works really well, so much so that I bought the full Android version of Music Studio yesterday for my laptop.
AlanBell68

Return to Feature requests