Trying to open midi files from Google drive not working ios

Get help from other users.

Trying to open midi files from Google drive not working ios

Postby thinkr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:16 am

Hi not sure if it's been reported yet.
I use Musescore to make my scores and I export the midi files to Google drive and want to import them to music studio but Music Studio app doesn't come up when I tap open blah.midi (file) using the Google drive app on either of my phones... iPhone 4S and new iPhone 5SE tested... It's like IOS or music studio doesn't recognize the files as midi files... But they clearly say (.mid). Not sure which side the issue is on iOS, Google drive, or music studio...

The only work around is using Dropbox but that sucks since I have no storage on there.
Can you help me identify where the problem is?

Side observation: Google drive shows them as {*.mid} file not {*.midi} Not sure if that's the issue or what I can do to change it... Anyone else experiencing this issue?
thinkr

Re: Trying to open midi files from Google drive not working

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:55 am

On iOS, apps can enlist to be shown in the "open with" dialog for certain file types. Music Studio is enlisted for both .mid and .midi files, among others (which are: wav, mp3, ogg, m4a, xms, beat, instr, zip - sorry, I can't resist completing incomplete lists ;) ).

If Dropbox shows Music Studio for MIDI files, but Google Drive doesn't, then it's probably a Google Drive bug. There are multiple kinds of "open with" dialogs, maybe Google Drive shows the "wrong" one.

There are 2 things you could try:
  • Rename the file from .midi to .mid (or vice versa)
  • Zip the file (but I don't know if Google Drive has a zip feature)
Image Image
Alex

Return to Support