Where Are Files Exported To?

Get help from other users.

Where Are Files Exported To?

Postby dynamata » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:13 am

Where do exported files go to? I exported a WAV & MIDI file but could not find them on iPod Touch. Using the URL: http://192.168.1.3:8080/ from the manual I downloaded the WAV file using the iPod USB cable, the connection dropped before I could download the MIDI file & that URL no longer works.

I had a problem with my iPod switching off & Apple tech support advised me to backup & reset the iPod, after I synched the iPod with iTunes the file I had been working on was gone (100 hours of work!). Only the downloaded WAV file is left, tried a WAV to MIDI file converter but got garbage. I backed up the iPod so what happened to the exported Music Studio files? I can't find them in iTunes. :shock:
Last edited by dynamata on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dynamata

Re: Where Are Files Exported To?

Postby Alex » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Are you certain that you restored the iPod from the backup (right click on your device and select "Restore from backup...") and not just pressed the Sync button in iTunes?

If you backed up and restored your iPod correctly, all your files should show up in Music Studio's project tab as they were before. Backed up files don't show up in iTunes separately, iTunes just created one big backup file of your iPod.

As to your other questions:

Forget wav to midi conversion, it's like trying to auto-colorize a black-and-white image.

Exported wav and midi files are saved in the same directory where all your songs are. If you don't see a file in the projects tab, it's not there. And you won't see it by using the Server or iTunes file transfer.

Btw, if you use the Server button and enter the URL in your browser, that's WiFi, not USB. That's USB:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=9#iTunes_File_Sharing
Image Image
Alex

Postby dynamata » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:25 am

I synched, just tried to restore the backup & got this message half way through: "iTunes could not restore the iPod "My iPod" because an error occured", so I guess my file is toast. Had a look at iTunes File Sharing but no Documents list appears for Music Studio or any other App.

If the URL is for WIFI why did it work with USB the first time? :roll:
dynamata

Postby TecWeed » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:04 pm

dynamata wrote:If the URL is for WIFI why did it work with USB the first time? :roll:

USB file exchange works without URL, regardless whether you use any URL or not. I'm not quite certain what you did the first time. Because you use iTunes for USB file sharing and any internet browser (such as Safari or Firefox) for WiFi.
My guess is that you downloaded the first file with WiFi and thought you were using the USB connection.
And yes, unfortunately, all your files are toast if they don't appear in the projects tab or in the file exchange list at all.
I find it kinda weird that some random error occurs when you're trying to restore your iPod though. That's something I would contact some apple person about.
Using Music Studio on an iPod touch 2G (16GB iOS4).
My YouTube
TecWeed

Postby Alex » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Definition: "Some Apple person" = http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ ;)
Image Image
Alex

Postby dynamata » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 pm

I don't have WIFI & can see no file exchange list. :?
dynamata

Postby TecWeed » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:53 pm

You can see no file exchange list? You mean, you don't know where to find it?
The above posts hint that you have worked with it already.
Anyway... just incase I misunderstood you for some odd reason, here are the steps again (I actually wanted to make a video tutorial of this once and I don't like giving links, I have to write it myself lol):
Connect your iPod to your PC/Mac with your USB cable. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes as well as Music Studio installed.
Open iTunes. Your iPod should show up in the left column. Click on it. Choose the "Apps" tab. All your installed/downloaded apps will appear which you can sync. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
A list appears with apps that support file exchange. Choose Music Studio.
All your MusicStudio related files located on your iPod will appear in the list on the bottom right corner.
If it's empty, as sad as it is, all your files are lost. Should you see 'em though... give your screen a hug. ;)
My YouTube
TecWeed

Postby dynamata » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:50 am

Those are the steps I followed unless I missed something, see screenshot:

http://www.dynamata.com/images/itunes.jpg
dynamata

Postby TecWeed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:32 am

Wrong list.
Scroll down till you are at the bottom of the page and you'll see two other lists.
My YouTube
TecWeed

Postby Alex » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:37 pm

The iTunes File Sharing list is only enabled if you have the latest version of iTunes and iOS 4.0 (or 3.2 on the iPad).
Image Image
Alex

Next

Return to Support