Akai EWI usb wind controller?

General discussion about Music Studio.

Akai EWI usb wind controller?

Postby carapace » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:53 am

Has anyone tried one of the Akai EWI usb wind controllers (about $270 street price). I assume it would work with a powered hub, but if it will work unpowered, I'll order one as soon it's available again (seems to be backordered everywhere). I have the korg nano key, and am delighted that it works, but I'm more into blowies than keyboards. (Well, mostly medieval and renaissance blowies, but willing to compromise :-)).

Thanks!
carapace

Re: Akai EWI usb wind controller?

Postby 3dog » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:16 pm

carapace wrote:Has anyone tried one of the Akai EWI usb wind controllers (about $270 street price). I assume it would work with a powered hub, but if it will work unpowered, I'll order one as soon it's available again (seems to be backordered everywhere). I have the korg nano key, and am delighted that it works, but I'm more into blowies than keyboards. (Well, mostly medieval and renaissance blowies, but willing to compromise :-)).

Thanks!

I have a similar controller (Yamaha WX11) which as a powered MIDI interface called a BT7. I interface that with an IRig to either my iPad 2 or iPhone 5 and I am amazed with the sounds and other functions of this app.
3dog

Postby 3dog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:11 am

I have now upgrade to the EWI 5000 and use this app on both iPhone and iPad with a wireless bluetooth LE divide called a Mi.1. This the only app that works well without too many changes. I use Garageband also but Music Studio has more patches. The chord pads do not work with midi input.
3dog

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Great, good to know that the EWI 5000 works with Music Studio 8-)

Chord pads cannot be triggered via MIDI, but "Chord button triggering via MIDI input" is already on the list: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2409
Image Image
Alex

Postby 3dog » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:19 am

I noticed that you have MIDI via Bluetooth LE on your list of future features. I am already using MIDI control via Bluetooth LE using a Mi.1 Bluetooth dongle ($45) on my EWI 5000 Midi out to control MusicStudio and I can not notice any latency. Best app that responds to Breath without any changes to EWI setup that I have found.
3dog

Postby Alex » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:01 am

Great, the Mi.1 Bluetooth dongle looks very handy!
"MIDI over Bluetooth LE" is another technology that Apple included with iOS 8: http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/04/new-for-audio-in-ios-8-yosemite-midi-over-bluetooth-le-new-inter-app-audio-features-more/
Image Image
Alex

Return to General discussion