Instrument sounds - most are mono?

General discussion about Music Studio.

Instrument sounds - most are mono?

Postby RickH » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:58 am

Are the majority of instrument sounds in Music Studio in mono? I've only found a couple that seem to be in full stereo: Heavenly Pad and Hall Piano...all the rest seem to be in boring mono! Or is there a setting I can turn on to turn them to stereo? I really think this is a neat app but am having trouble getting inspired with the mono sounds.

Re: Instrument sounds - most are mono?

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:34 pm

The instruments in Symphonic folder are stereo, all the others are mono.

The reason for this is that back in 2009, when we contracted a recording studio to record the instruments, there wasn't enough memory on iOS devices to load stereo samples (think iPhone 3G...). We don't have the budget to order stereo versions of these samples (all of them would have to be cut again), but we aim for stereo when we include new instruments, which was the case for the Symphonic instruments with version 2.4 in December 2014.

In general, obtaining quality samples for commercial use in a DAW app is not cheap, that's why we can't put new instruments in every update. We created the sampler to give users the opportunity to create their own instruments (e.g. from samples that are available online for free), and then there's the instrument sharing forum: viewforum.php?f=10
Image Image

Return to General discussion