Best Mic for Pocket Digital Recorder?

General discussion about Music Studio.

Best Mic for Pocket Digital Recorder?

Postby yentrangkorea » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:37 am

I'm a composer working mainly in Film/TV. My main rig is Digital Performer on a new Mac Pro with Apollo Quad etc.

For my more experimental music, I sometimes do 'field recordings'. These range from environmental sounds to close-micing human voice or any other sound (nature / industrial).

I bought a Yamaha C24 Pocketrack recorder several years ago. I knew that the preamps in it were not the best amongst Digi recorders, but I liked it because it was by far the smallest and therefore the one I was most likely to carry around with me everywhere (which is do).

However, recently I've been wanting to do more close-mic work with voices and delicate sounds. I realized that the unit does not give out 48V Phantom Power, so using my Royer or AKG mics with it would necessitate me also haling out my Grace 101 Preamp (and going line-in). While it's not a big deal, this is no longer truly 'mobile'.

With this is mind, can anyone recommend the best battery-powered (mono or stereo) mic for use with this Digi Recorder (either directly or with a better, mobile preamp also)? Something that's significantly better than the built-in mic, but also something that's very mobile.

Thanks!
yentrangkorea

Re: Best Mic for Pocket Digital Recorder?

Postby Alex » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:45 am

I personally use the Rode i-XY for recording concerts and for sampling instruments. It's not battery powered, but it sounds great imho and it doesn't get more mobile.
Image Image
Alex

Re: Best Mic for Pocket Digital Recorder?

Postby ijames » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Well, there are lots of best mic for pocket digital recorder but I suggest you top 5 which are as below:

Yamaha Pocketrak PR7
Zoom H4N
TASCAM DR-05
Olympus LS-14
Roland R-05

I hope this will help you.
ijames

Return to General discussion