Can I connect my MIDI/USB keyboard?

Get help from other users.

Re: Can I connect my MIDI/USB keyboard?

Postby dlo77 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:44 am

First of all fantastic product! I have used MusicStudio to compose and Record in the past using just my iPad with no other gear connected and it has been outstanding, however.........

I am now just getting back into writing and recording after a long hiatus and I am trying to get set up to do it myself but I am having difficulty and all I want to do is start recording. I just cannot seem to connect my midi controller. My setup is as follows:

iPad 4 (latest IOS version), Focusrite iTrack dock, Korg K61p keyboard midi controller and m-audio 1 in 1 out USB to midi interface and of course latest version of music studio

I just cannot seem to find the right parameters in music studio to make it happen.

I can get an audio signal from the keyboard to music studio just fine but no midi. Any help would be very appreciated. Do I need to buy a different controller? and What is 'core midi'? Thanks.
dlo77

Postby Alex » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for your feedback!

I don't have the Focusrite iTrack Dock, but it's an iOS compatible ("class compliant") audio interface, which means that it supports Apple's CoreMIDI protocol, so I'm 99.9% sure that it will work with Music Studio.

Why do you need the M-Audio 1x1? When your iPad is docked in the iTrack Dock, all audio and MIDI signals from the iTrack Dock's ports are routed to the iPad. So this setup should work:

Image Image
Alex

Postby dlo77 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:06 am

Thank you for the quick reply Alex.

I use the M-Audio USB to midi cable to connect the Korg midi out (DIN) to the I track midi in (USB) I don’t think there would be another way to connect midi. I have enabled midi in and out, set all of the ports and channels to all and still nothing.

I now suspect the issue may be the communication between the Korg and the iTrack. I have emailed Focusrite support so I’ll see what they advise. The keyboard is like 10 years old and very basic but I like having the 61 keys and it has a couple great internal organ sounds, however I will need to upgrade if I can’t get midi.

Thanks again and looking forward to musicStudio 3.0
dlo77

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 am

Oh, I thought the iTrack Dock had MIDI in/out ports, now I looked closer at the images, there's just an USB MIDI port.

I now suspect the issue may be the communication between the Korg and the iTrack.

My guess is that the M-Audio USB MIDI adapter and the iTrack Dock don't work well together...maybe ask Focusrite about compatibility with the M-Audio USB MIDI adapter.
Image Image
Alex

Previous

Return to Support