Will it work on my iOS device?

Get help from other users.

Will it work on my iOS device?

Postby Alex » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Here's a short overview on what kind of performance to expect on different devices (we test on all of them):

iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 5S or later
128x polyphony is available on these devices. They have more than enough CPU power to run Music Studio simultaneously with Audiobus, many other synth apps, any many effects.

iPad 3, iPad 4, iPhone 5
64x polyphony runs stutter-free on these devices, recording other apps via Audiobus works smoothly. RAM is not an issue anymore, you can create projects with about 20 of the new high-quality symphonic instruments. Many effects and multiple reverbs are possible. Note that iPad 4 is almost twice as fast as the iPad 3.

iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5th gen
Everything runs fast and smooth, even with many MIDI and audio tracks. 32 to 64x polyphony, 1 reverb and a few other effects, 10 MIDI tracks with lots of notes plus 10 audio tracks can be played back simultaneously. Although these devices have more RAM than the previous generation, loading too many of the new large symphonic instruments leads to low memory warnings (don't worry though, 30 non-symphonic instrument tracks is not a problem).

iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4th gen
You may have to set the polyphony to 16 or 32 and use very few effects to ensure stutter-free playback. However, the limitation of these devices is the relatively small amount of RAM. This means that some of the orchestral demo songs won't fully load because not all of the required instrument samples fit into the RAM.

iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3rd gen
Still a smooth experience as long as the song is not too complex. With low reverb quality, only 1 reverb and a few other effects, stuttering will occur at a polyphony of about 32. Setting the polyphony to 16 will ensure stutter-free playback for most songs. Audio recording and playing on the keyboard puts additional load on the CPU (e.g. touch processing, CoreMIDI).

iPhone 2G, 3G, iPod Touch 1st and 2nd gen
iOS 5.1 is not available for these devices, hence Music Studio doesn't work on them either.
Image Image
Alex

Re: Will it work on my iOS device?

Postby SubZero » Wed May 07, 2014 7:57 pm

You didn't mention the iPod 5 but I will say [sence I have the iPod5 and Music Studio] that the app runs on the iPod like a charm... I have created like 135 songs and many that are at least 3-5 min long. Anyways, I love the app and the iPod. They rock..
SubZero

Postby Alex » Wed May 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks, I put the iPod 5 next to the iPhone 4S in the list.
Image Image
Alex

Postby TripMX » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:09 am

I just want to confirm that the latest Music Studio v2.5 works perfectly on iPad 2 running iOS 5.1.1.! Thanks for the continued support, Alex! :D
TripMX

Postby Bianca » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:37 pm

TripMX wrote:I just want to confirm that the latest Music Studio v2.5 works perfectly on iPad 2 running iOS 5.1.1.! Thanks for the continued support, Alex! :D

Silly question really but why are you still running 5.1.1.1 on an ipad 2?
Bianca

Postby TripMX » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Bianca wrote:
TripMX wrote:I just want to confirm that the latest Music Studio v2.5 works perfectly on iPad 2 running iOS 5.1.1.! Thanks for the continued support, Alex! :D

Silly question really but why are you still running 5.1.1.1 on an ipad 2?

The reason I'm still running iOS 5.1.1 on my iPad 2 is because I didn't and will NEVER update this particular device to iOS 7.x.x. The reason for that is because the iPad 2's older chip (A5) running the older firmware (iOS 5.1.1) provides OPTIMAL performance as well as 353MB+ RAM open for usage. My apps RARELY crash, and framerates are MUCH more stable on iOS 5.x.x than 7.x.x even still today! I've done comparison tests on a friend's iPad mini [non-Retina display] (same technology as the iPad 2, with the exception of a better camera) running the same apps on both devices, and let me tell you.....the iPad 2 running iOS 5.1.1. performs noticeable better in all cases.

Updating to iOS 7.x.x on this older device (iPad 2) would literally destroy this perfection. Music Studio v2.5 runs perfectly fine on my iPad 2 (5.1.1), and I am very grateful for the older support despite Apple's demand to squash the older firmwares. I'll have to buy a new device if I'm going to get the latest iOS.
TripMX

Postby Alex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Yes, Music Studio 2.5.1 still runs smoothly on iOS 5.1.1, we tested it on a 1st generation iPad.
Image Image
Alex

Postby quexpo82 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:47 pm

I tried to update to 2.5v on my iPad 1 and now it's just left the app in limbo and says "unable to downland"

What can I do? It was working fine before I attempted this update and as its my favourite music app (5 years going strong) I'm a little peaved.
quexpo82

Postby Alex » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Image Image
Alex

Return to Support