The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Assign midi notes to drums & percussion

Official update plan and feature suggestions

Assign midi notes to drums & percussion

Postby TerryvD » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:24 pm

First - thanks for a great too! Well worth the money.

I've poked around a bit to see if this was in Support or suggested new Features, with no luck.

I'm using a 4 zone drum pad with midi out to trigger different drum sounds, and looping them, in live performances. I love the way you can choose different midi instruments for different tracks, and just switch between tracks to trigger jazz drums instead of, say, orchestral percussion, and back again.

Because I'm limited to 4 pads, though, I'd REALLY, REALLY appreciate the ability to assign the midi note to different sounds. Simplified Example:

Jazz Drums
Midi note 35 = Tom1
Midi note 36 = Tom2
Midi note 37 = Snare1
Midi note 38 = Kick

World Drums
Midi note 35 = Djembe1
Midi note 36 = Cabasa
Midi note 37 = Bongo Hi
Midi note 38 = Vibraslap

With that setup, I could just change tracks and get the 4 pads to make exactly the sounds I want. I loop some jazz drums, switch tracks, and loop some world percussion. Easy! If there's already something that does this, please let me know.

Thank you!
Terry
TerryvD

Re: Assign midi notes to drums & percussion

Postby Alex » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:21 pm

There's a workaround to achieve this: Using the sampler, you can build your custom kits and assign the samples to the desired MIDI keys. Here's how:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=14

If you must use the samples of Music Studio's factory drum kits (although there are plenty of free drum samples on the web), you would have to create a project with just 1 note that plays the sample, then export it to wav, repeat for every desired sample, then import all those samples into your user kit.
Image Image
Alex

Return to Feature requests