The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Would like to move AppData on external SD card

Official update plan and feature suggestions

Would like to move AppData on external SD card

Postby AndroidFan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:42 am

Hello Music Studio Team,

Since the internal memory of smartphones unfortunately is limited, I would appreciate to be able to move the AppData (especially the extremely large sample libraries) to the external SD card of my Android device.

Is there a chance to get this functionality with one of the next updates?

Cheers
Marc
AndroidFan

Re: Would like to move AppData on external SD card

Postby Alex » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:24 pm

That's already possible, here's how:
  • Open Android's Settings app
  • Application Manager -> Music Studio -> Storage
  • Tap the "Change" button and select "SD card", OK and Move.

I tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S5, the steps might be slightly different on other Android devices.

However, the Music Studio User Files directory cannot be moved to the SD card. We plan to implement that after the 3.0 update.
Image Image
Alex

Postby AndroidFan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Hello Alex,

Thank you for this hint. Unfortunately this doesn't work with my device. Operating System is Android Lollypopp. Perhaps that's the reason.

I will enclose a screenshot. In this screenshot you can see, which button I tapped.

Regards,
Marc
Attachments
Screenshot.zip
(112.53 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
AndroidFan

Postby Alex » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Your screenshot looks quite different to what I see on the Samsung Galaxy S5. That's what makes Android development so cumbersome, Android OS is not the same on all devices. Enough complaining...for now ;)

The button reads "Auf Telefon verschieben", so my guess is that Music Studio is already on the SD card. Otherwise, the button would read "Auf SD Karte verschieben" or something similar.
Image Image
Alex

Postby AndroidFan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:24 am

Yes, you're right. I'd already tapped that button, so that the main application of Music Studio has already moved to SD card, but unfortunately not its data. I checked it by using the DiscUsage app. It shows the "storage card/media/android" folder still contains a fair amount of data of Music Studio. The "com.xewton.musicstudio3" folder is located there twice. As a sulfolder of data it contains 737 MiB and as a subfolder of obb it contains 666 MiB.
AndroidFan

Postby AndroidFan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:48 am

Something looks strange so I checked it again. Obviously not even the app itself has moved to SD card, so it looks like that button in the screenshot does nothing at all. It shows that it's done, but it is not.
AndroidFan

Postby Alex » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Obviously not even the app itself has moved to SD card, so it looks like that button in the screenshot does nothing at all. It shows that it's done, but it is not.

That's odd, it looks like an Android OS bug. Have you tried it with other apps?

The "com.xewton.musicstudio3" folder is located there twice. As a sulfolder of data it contains 737 MiB and as a subfolder of obb it contains 666 MiB.

Right, my Android programmer confirmed that this is a known issue that we will try to address in version 3.0, or 3.1.
I tried deleting the obb files (because they were already extracted into the data subfolder, but then Music Studio refuses to launch and the screen stays black. So don't try this at home ;)
Image Image
Alex

Postby AndroidFan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:04 am

I'm somehow not able to find the moved files. So I took a closer look at the free space of the internal memory. I found it's not the case the button does nothing at all. But it does not do that much. I figured out that just a few MB were moved to SD card by using it. So of course it not really matters if you use this functionality or not. I also tried it for other apps and it's the same behavior.

The question is which files are considered to move by tapping that button. If the complete app should be moved then I guess you're right and it's a bug. Good to know the other issue with the two locations is already known and will be fixed.

Thanks a lot for you assistance.
AndroidFan

Return to Feature requests