The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

What's about with groups for FX effects?

Official update plan and feature suggestions

What's about with groups for FX effects?

Postby AndroidFan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Hello Music Studio team,

I hope this suggestion is not too long, but I want to make sure that it's long enough that it is understandable. :)

Up to now you can define a track as an FX track. You are also be able to disable FX for specific tracks. But e. g. you're not able to use different filters for two or more different tracks. You can only record one filter track and use it or not.

A great functionality would be to have groups, in which you are able to record tracks with FX effects. If you do so, you could create different groups for different filter tracks. Since MIDI provides even more effects like volume, panning and modulation, what's about also to allow recording each of these effects to every group? So group one could contain a volume, a filter and an FX track and group two could contain other tracks of these types.

If you assign such an FX group to one or more MIDI tracks, you would be able to apply the effects recorded in that group to tracks of your choice easily. This concept could offer a more flexible way to assign effects to tracks. It also should be possible to edit the tracks in an FX group like you can already do it with the MIDI tracks.

To make older Music Studio files working with this new concept, you could apply groups only, if they're assigned to a track. If not, the track could use the existing functionality.

Regards,
Marc
AndroidFan

Re: What's about with groups for FX effects?

Postby Alex » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:35 am

Music Studio on iOS already has this feature, it's called "Insert, send and master effect routing" in the list at http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/overview/

Here's how it works: http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=8#Effect_routing_and_busses

The Android version will get this feature in 2017 with the free update to version 3. Sorry for the wait, but we must say goodbye to the old Java code and write cross-platform C++ code, which takes longer than we expected.
Image Image
Alex

Postby AndroidFan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Alex,

That's no problem. They're pretty great features in the new version. And users of the old version not even have to pay it separately. That indeed is something, which cannot be assumed. Thank you for this!

At any rate I'm looking forward to get the new version for Android.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Marc
AndroidFan

Postby AndroidFan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi again,

I would like to add one thing:
Please don't misunderstand me. I really appreciate getting things for free, but I'm also willing to pay for them.

So if you someday will come up with a good new version of Music Studio, which offers a ton of great new functionality, it's for sure interesting to me. Therefore I would probably buy it no matter it will cost another fee.

Regards,
Marc
AndroidFan

Postby Alex » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks! Our philosophy is to keep feature updates free, but to sell additional instruments (and maybe synths in the future) in the in-app shop.
Image Image
Alex

Return to Feature requests