The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Drum details.

Official update plan and feature suggestions

Drum details.

Postby Robin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi,

Because of the way the drum kits are implemented (mapped to the keyboard rather than having a separate drum sequencer) I've always thought that it would be useful to have a list, saying exactly what is mapped to each key for every drum kit.

If you have such lists, or can get them, do you think you could make them available to download or add them to the user manual? Many thanks.
Robin

Re: Drum details.

Postby Bianca » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:51 pm

The drums are mapped to the General Midi Standard Mapping

https://www.midi.org/specifications/ite ... -sound-set

Scroll down to the bottom 1/2 of the page.
Bianca

Postby Robin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks Bianca, that's a useful link to have, appreciate it.

What I'm after is a similar list for each drum kit though - that list may be obeyed where possible but some drum kits have sounds that aren't listed there - yet they are mapped to some of those keys - so the Standard mapping presumably only remains correct for the standard drum kit?
Robin

Postby Bianca » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:13 pm

I think the other kits are mapped in a similar fashion so that kick drums will always be on same notes etc

I tend to switch to the pad view for drums anyway.
Bianca

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Right, the kits were mapped as close to the GM mapping as possible, but they extend almost 1 octave below and 1 above the GM mapping and many sounds are arbitrary, for example hiphop and house kits don't usually have agogo or wood blocks ;)
Anyway, there is no list of the exact mapping available, they were mapping without documentation :o
Image Image
Alex

Postby Robin » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Yes, it was precisely those other sounds, those that do not adhere to, or appear on the GM list that I was hoping to know about. Oh well, thanks to you both.
Robin

Return to Feature requests