The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Old (32-bit) version?

Get help from other users.

Old (32-bit) version?

Postby Tina » Thu May 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Hi there! I’ve become interested in Music Studio because I am using my old iPhone 4 to bring the Akai SynthStation 25 to life (it uses the old 30-pin connector, and newer, taller iPhones won’t even fit in the dock casing anyway). I’ve used NanoStudio on it already, and it’s very good, but I think Music Studio’s sample-based approach would work much better for me and how I relate to music. To my heartbreak, though, the 64-bit update breaks support for the iPhone 4 and the SynthStation 25, and that leaves me unable to install the program at all. Is there a way I can install the old, 32-bit version on my phone so I can use it with my SynthStation 25? Choosing a different program isn’t really an option, and nor is buying a new device.
Tina

Re: Old (32-bit) version?

Postby Alex » Fri May 13, 2016 8:09 pm

The iPhone 4 can be updated to iOS 7.1.2. Music Studio requires iOS 7, so it should run on your iPhone 4.
However, the SynthStation 25 is no longer supported (thanks to Akai for not providing an updated SDK).

In general, Apple manages availability of app versions on the App Store, we can't offer previous versions of our apps, even if we chose to.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Bianca » Sat May 14, 2016 10:46 am

You could use MidiBridge between the synthstation and MusicStudio.
Bianca

Postby Tina » Mon May 16, 2016 1:48 am

Would that allow me to make use of things like the octave up/down buttons and the pitch wheel? And, I would think that any update that breaks major hardware support should be a separate app... but I’m not an app developer, I don’t know how this process works. (I’m so sick of walled gardens!)
Tina

Postby Bianca » Mon May 16, 2016 8:34 am

Not sure, if I get a chance later I will try.
Bianca

Postby Alex » Mon May 16, 2016 10:46 am

I would think that any update that breaks major hardware support should be a separate app... but I’m not an app developer, I don’t know how this process works.

We too would prefer to offer separate versions / apps, when we are forced to cut any kind of hardware support. Unfortunately, it's impossible (in the Apple, Google and Microsoft app eco systems) to create another app and migrate the users. The new app would have 0 users, 0 reviews and everyone would have to buy it again -> not an option for us.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Bianca » Mon May 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Tina wrote:Would that allow me to make use of things like the octave up/down buttons and the pitch wheel? And, I would think that any update that breaks major hardware support should be a separate app... but I’m not an app developer, I don’t know how this process works. (I’m so sick of walled gardens!)

Ok tested it this afternoon. Iphone4 iOS 7.1.2 (or whatever the last iOS 7 is). Latest MusicStudio and MidiBridge.

The octave up and down buttons work as expected.
The keys work as expected
The mod wheel can be used to control the filter.

The other buttons don't do anything, but I don't think they did before either.

The other thing that might work (but I didn't test it) is if you connect the mini USB out to the iPad via the camera connection kit.
Bianca

Return to Support