The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Music Studio and Korg iM1 (in multi mode)

Get help from other users.

Music Studio and Korg iM1 (in multi mode)

Postby mkie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Sorry for maybe asking a typical newbie question (but that's what I am concerning MIDI on iOS).

I would like to use Music Studio as a MIDI source to drive the Korg iM1 app in multi mode (so that iM1 works as a 8-channel sound module). I have set "Setup - MIDI - Ports&Channels" to "Midi OUT channel = TRACKS, Port = ALL". Like that Music Studio's track 1 to 8 should drive iM1 track 1 to 8.

Selecting iM1 in Music Studio's Instruments panel (Inter-App - iM1) works perfectly for the first track. When I try to do the same on another track I receive the "Instrument in use" error which is correct as the documentation states "An IAA app can only be connected once."

Is there any way to achieve what I'm trying to do?
Already had a look at the Audiobus app but this will only connect *audio* between apps - not MIDI.

Any hints greatly appreciated!

Platform: iPad mini 32 GB, iOS 9.3.2
mkie

Re: Music Studio and Korg iM1 (in multi mode)

Postby Bianca » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:21 pm

the best you can achieve is a stereo audio track of the 8 im1 instruments.

you can use Audiobus.

Open Im1 in the input slot of AB and Music Studio in the output slot

Set up 8 tracks in Music Studio and set up your 8 im1 instruments.

Set all the tracks in Music Studio to Mute.

This should drive Im1 with midi notes from MS

Now switch back to Im1 and on the AB control tab press the record button in MS.

Or you can just create a new audio track

Select input as Interapp audio
Select im1 in the drop down
Make sure to tick the play song box
Press record button.
Bianca

Postby mkie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks for your fast answer, Bianca! :)

Bianca wrote:Set up 8 tracks in Music Studio and set up your 8 im1 instruments.
Set all the tracks in Music Studio to Mute.

This little trick does the job. Like that the muted track(s) will trigger the iM1 track(s).
Of course I had to activate "MIDI out for muted tracks" in MIDI - Setup also.

The only annoying thing here is that - when playing the keyboard in Music Studio - I hear the iM1 instrument as well as the MS instrument. :roll: There's no such thing as a silent instrument in MS? :lol:

Hmm, I hoped I could use MS as a sequencer only and let iM1 do the sound generation part. Looks like this is not 100% possible. How I understand it this is NOT a MS specific limitation but a general topic of IAA, right?
mkie

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:18 pm

It should be possible with CoreMIDI!
But first, let me make a clarification: Inter-App Audio and CoreMIDI are unrelated. You configured both CoreMIDI output (in the ports & channels popup) and Inter-App Audio output (by selecting iM1 as Inter-App instrument). That's too much, better stick to just 1 method ;) Here's the difference:

• Inter-App instruments: 1 track is the limitation, because there can be only 1 connection per app (an iOS limitation), but the configuration is much easier, Inter-App Audio works with most apps out-of-the-box.
  • CoreMIDI: You already configured Music Studio's audio output correctly. Just create 8 MIDI tracks, set their volume to 0, and assign them to any of Music Studio's internal instruments, not to Inter-App. Start the playback (I assume there are notes on the tracks) and enable "Background audio" in the Setup. Now launch the iM1 app and configure MIDI input so that track 1 receives channel 1 (from Music Studio, or from all ports), track 2 channel 2, and so on. I don't have iM1 installed so I'm afraid I can't tell you how to set up iM1 this way.

The only annoying thing here is that - when playing the keyboard in Music Studio - I hear the iM1 instrument as well as the MS instrument. :roll: There's no such thing as a silent instrument in MS?

You can silence any track by setting the volume to 0. This will only affect Music Studio's audio output and not other apps (iM1), because the MIDI volume event is not transmitted.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Bianca » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:04 am

It will get better as and when there are more AU apps and Music Studio can host them
Bianca

Return to Support