The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Listening to track while recording

Get help from other users.

Listening to track while recording

Postby rlberry » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:57 pm

I want to listen to a track I have recorded while recording a new audio track. I can't tell if there are bugs or if I am not using correctly.

First, is it possible to have the metronome play during recording but not record on the new track?

Second, is it possible to record a new track while listening to recorded tracks, but to not have the new track record what I was listening to.

I would like to select a track to listen to, and then record a new track while listening, but not have it included on the new track. Is it possible to mute unwanted tracks before going to record and hear only those not muted?

I am sending from a mackie ProFX8 through USB to iPad 4 gen.
Rob
rlberry

Re: Listening to track while recording

Postby rlberry » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:08 am

Has this been covered elsewhere? I see some people are viewing but no one has stepped up to answer. Any help out there?
rlberry

Postby Bianca » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:04 am

I wonder if you are looping the audio through the mixer and back into Music Studio but I don't know enough about how that mixer works to answer definitely.
Bianca

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:50 am

First, is it possible to have the metronome play during recording but not record on the new track?

Yes, just enable the metronome button in the audio recording window:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=13#Record_button

Second, is it possible to record a new track while listening to recorded tracks, but to not have the new track record what I was listening to.

Yes, just enable "Play song during recording" in the audio recording window.

I would like to select a track to listen to, and then record a new track while listening, but not have it included on the new track. Is it possible to mute unwanted tracks before going to record and hear only those not muted?

Yes again :) Before recording, solo the tracks that you want to listen to in the track list:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=7#Solo_button
Then add a new audio track, double tap it to switch to the Waveform tab, tap the Record button and enable "Play song during recording" in the audio recording window.

Since you're using the iPad's dock port (or Lightning port) for recording, and not the headphone jack, playback should not bleed into the recording. The headphone jack has the crosstalk flaw, but the Dock/Lightning port works fine for professional recordings.
Image Image
Alex

Postby rlberry » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Bianca wrote:I wonder if you are looping the audio through the mixer and back into Music Studio but I don't know enough about how that mixer works to answer definitely.

Bianca,
How can I figure this out. The other suggestions in response are all the intuitive things I already tried. But it makes no sense for recording software not to do the things I want. 'So I must conclude it is in my setup.

So I just tested it. I unplugged the earjack which was feeding back into the mixer. However the POT was turned all the way down.

Unfortunately, I followed the instructions below: I soloed the track I wanted to listen to, recorded selecting "Listen to song during playback", and then soled the new track, turned off the other one and sure enough it bled through the new track.

I'm at a loss.
rlberry

Postby rlberry » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Alex wrote:

Yes, just enable the metronome button in the audio recording window:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=13#Record_button

Yes that makes it sound during recording.

Yes, just enable "Play song during recording" in the audio recording window.

Sorry this doesn't work without recording playback onto the new track. I can't figure this out.

Yes again :) Before recording, solo the tracks that you want to listen to in the track list:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=7#Solo_button
Then add a new audio track, double tap it to switch to the Waveform tab, tap the Record button and enable "Play song during recording" in the audio recording window.

Since you're using the iPad's dock port (or Lightning port) for recording, and not the headphone jack, playback should not bleed into the recording. The headphone jack has the crosstalk flaw, but the Dock/Lightning port works fine for professional recordings.

Yep, that's what the instructions say too. But for some reason I can't figure out, it bleeds through. What's a boy to do?
rlberry

Postby rlberry » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 pm

:evil:

Well, I've been screwing with this for hours. There appears to be no way to keep the new tracks silent. Either I have to play without a metronome, or without listening to a prior track to make a clean new track. This renders this software useless as recording software unless I just want to jot down something to remember.

I guess I shouldn't have very high expectations for $19. It has so many nice features, but can't seem to do anything but record everything I hear through my earphones.

I'm sure others have had better experiences, but frankly I'm lost on the utility of this app. Sorry code writers!
rlberry

Postby Bianca » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:05 am

rlberry wrote::evil:

Well, I've been screwing with this for hours. There appears to be no way to keep the new tracks silent. Either I have to play without a metronome, or without listening to a prior track to make a clean new track. This renders this software useless as recording software unless I just want to jot down something to remember.

I guess I shouldn't have very high expectations for $19. It has so many nice features, but can't seem to do anything but record everything I hear through my earphones.

I'm sure others have had better experiences, but frankly I'm lost on the utility of this app. Sorry code writers!

I've just looked at the manual, there's a USB through switch on the mixer if this is on then the sound from the iPad will be fed back into the mix.....have you made sure it's off?
Bianca

Postby Alex » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:58 pm

There's a simple check to identify the source of the problem: Unplug your audio hardware and try recording (with the exact same Music Studio settings) with headphones connected. You'll record through the iPad's internal mic, which shouldn't pic up what your headphones play if they're far enough away.
Image Image
Alex

Postby rlberry » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:35 pm

[

I've just looked at the manual, there's a USB through switch on the mixer if this is on then the sound from the iPad will be fed back into the mix.....have you made sure it's off?[/quote]

Bianca!! You did it!! That was the problem. Thank so much. I 'm back to being a fan!!

Rob
rlberry

Next

Return to Support