The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Here is: How to add some tracks from another xms file

Get help from other users.

Here is: How to add some tracks from another xms file

Postby Android_Fan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:53 am

Hello,

Sometimes it would come in handy to add tracks from other xms files or MIDI files to your own (Music Studio 2) song. But how to do this? By just importing MIDI, Music Studio will unload your song, create a new XMS in memory and than imports the MIDI file. The same goes for XMS files. Music Studio first will unload the existing song replace it by loading the other song.

But there is a trick to add tracks anyway:
If we consider beats, they can add tracks to an existing project without unloading it. I found out that beat files technically are XMS files with the extension "beat" instead of "xms". You cannot save your songs as beat files with Music Studio directly. But you can use a file browser to rename the "xms" extension of your song into "beat". For Andoid you e. g. can get the app "Total Commander" from the Play Store to do that.

There is no need to store your beat file to the "Beats" folder. Just leave it together with the other xms files and add its tracks to your existing song by merely loading it. I found no possibility to select tracks. Without that, Music Studio always will add all tracks of your beat file to the song. But of course you can delete unnecessary tracks afterwards. Instead of that, you can save your xms file (from which you want to import tracks) in a version, which only contains the tracks to add and not till than rename its extension to "beat".

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Marc
Android_Fan

Re: Here is: How to add some tracks from another xms file

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 am

Interesting workaround!
There are 2 other ways to add a track from another project or MIDI file to the current project:
  1. Load the project or MIDI file that you want to append. In the bar editor (http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=7#Bar_editor), select all bars, then long tap and copy them to the clipboard (http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/? ... d_paste.29). Load the project where you want to append, add a new track, open the bar editor, long tap on the new track and tap Paste.
  2. Or, in the Projects screen, tap the Append button (iPad only):
    http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=9#Append_button_.28iPad_only.29
Image Image
Alex

Postby Android_Fan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi Alex,

yes, you can use your method 1 with Android as well. But if you do so, you'll get some problems:

You cannot insert audio tracks. With my method, you even are able to insert audio tracks from another project.

The copied tracks will lose their instrument assignment information. That means, you have to assign the instruments again to them.

In Music Studio 2 I found a strange bug, while trying out your method 1. You can reproduce it with some test files. I enclosed them in the attachment. Here is, how to reproduce the bug:

I. Copy "Test A Recording.wav" to your audio folder and open "Test A.xms".
II. Select track 2 and 4 and copy them to the clipboard.
III. Open "Test B.xms".
IV. Tap on MIDI "+" button, to create a new track.
V. Long tap the new track and insert the clipboard data.

The result is very strange:
You'll get three tracks instead of two from the clipboard and the assinged instruments are quite weird.

Cheers,
Marc
Attachments
Test files.zip
(239.53 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by Android_Fan on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Android_Fan

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:25 pm

1 & 2) Indeed, your method is better in this regard!

3) Thanks for the bug report, it has probably something to do with the fact that the copied selection was not continuous (i.e. there was a track in between with no selection). We'll try to fix it in an update.
Image Image
Alex

Return to Support