The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Backing up files to pc

Get help from other users.

Backing up files to pc

Postby Honeycroft » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Ifi copy all files to pc and then delete off iPhone can I then upload them back to iPhone and all tracks will appear? Or do I havevto export each track individually?

Cheers
Honeycroft

Re: Backing up files to pc

Postby Alex » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:28 am

If you copy all .xms files to your PC you'll have everything backed up, no need to export.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Honeycroft » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 pm

thanks for the prompt repsonse Alex. I just wanted to double check before i start deleting files.

loving the update too. Great work. i think this is the best app on the iphone. im using it alot (as well as nanostudio and multitrack). it would be good if could copy tracks to use in multitrack. each app has its own merits.

Al
Honeycroft

Postby Honeycroft » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:43 am

Alex

Do you know if the copy/ paste to and from other music apps (which use pasteboard) is being considered in a future update?
Honeycroft

Postby Alex » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am

Image Image
Alex

Postby Honeycroft » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:12 pm

good work sir. and thanks for the quick response.
Honeycroft

Postby Honeycroft » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Alex wrote:If you copy all .xms files to your PC you'll have everything backed up, no need to export.

I still dont get this. Are all files xms? Is that the project file and individual track files too?

Thanks
Honeycroft

Postby Alex » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 am

Like a midi file, the .xms file format contains all the notes and parameters of all tracks, and the song's settings (tempo, markers etc.). In contrast, .wav (like .ogg, .mp3) stores the waveform, not the notes. You cannot edit a wav file with Music Studio, its purpose is to mixdown your song for use in other apps (iTunes, mp3 converters, DAWs...).
If you backup the .xms files, you have the project (=song) in Music Studio's native format. If you throw away the .xms file and just keep an exported .wav file, you loose data, i.e. the ability to load and edit your song with Music Studio.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Honeycroft » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Alex wrote:Like a midi file, the .xms file format contains all the notes and parameters of all tracks, and the song's settings (tempo, markers etc.). In contrast, .wav (like .ogg, .mp3) stores the waveform, not the notes. You cannot edit a wav file with Music Studio, its purpose is to mixdown your song for use in other apps (iTunes, mp3 converters, DAWs...).
If you backup the .xms files, you have the project (=song) in Music Studio's native format. If you throw away the .xms file and just keep an exported .wav file, you loose data, i.e. the ability to load and edit your song with Music Studio.

Thanks Alex. I understand now. I was just paranoid I would move my projects off iPhone to pc and not be able to get them back. Cool.

And the app is even better now I have an iPad.
Honeycroft

Return to Support