The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

External midi control

Get help from other users.

External midi control

Postby Jayrobw » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:56 pm

I would like to control an external sound source that can receive midi input from different channels and play multiple instruments using general midi. How can I tel Music Studio to send a particular track on a particular channel (e.g. Piano on midi 1 - drums on midi 16 - strings on midi 2, etc.) so I can play my compositions thru external devices like with Sonar or Studio One on a PC.
Jayrobw

Re: External midi control

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Image Image
Alex

Postby revola » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Jayrobw wrote:I would like to control an external sound source that can receive midi input from different channels and play multiple instruments using general midi. How can I tel Music Studio to send a particular track on a particular channel (e.g. Piano on midi 1 - drums on midi 16 - strings on midi 2, etc.) so I can play my compositions thru external devices like with Sonar or Studio One on a PC.

I'm a new user and really have the same question. I did see the reply to this post and understand moving tracks in Music Studio to correspond with the external instrument I wish to use. My question specifically .... is there a way to input a midi instrument change into a specific track so that the hardware (external device) can automatically change it's instrument for that track? If there is not a way to configure a midi instrument change within a single track, then I assume I would need to program my external device for each song to match the instruments within Music Studio's file and no instrument changes within a single track are permitted? thanks for your help. BTW, I LOVE this product!
revola

Postby Alex » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Music Studio doesn't send or receive MIDI program change messages, a track's instrument cannot change in the middle of a song. I don't know if it's of any use to you but there's a button to manually send all the MIDI programs (= instruments) of all the tracks:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=10#Send_params_button
Image Image
Alex

Postby jrakarl » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:33 am

Hi Alex, great work with this App. It's highly functional. Unfortunately, I was hoping to use music studio as a live tool to playback a stereo track and control (program change) my guitar rig - so I can focus on singing and playing guitar...
Is there going to be support for Program Change in a future release?
Other than that, you have nailed the "studio in an iPad". Well done. Yes, I purchased the full-version :D
jrakarl

Postby Alex » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks for your feedback :)

"Custom MIDI CC assignments" is on the list of future updates:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2409
Image Image
Alex

Return to Support