The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Mastering Phase Tips

Get help from other users.

Mastering Phase Tips

Postby Martin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

I have a song that is in the mixing/editing stage and it has a combination of MIDI and audio tracks. Generally speaking what is the best practice on preparing my tracks/song for the mastering phase?

Is it necessary to convert MIDI tracks to WAV files for another stage of processing before moving to the mastering phase?

Do I export all my project tracks as one WAV file, open a new project, import WAV file and apply global mastering effects?

Other tips and tricks are welcome.

Thanks
Martin
Martin

Re: Mastering Phase Tips

Postby Martin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 am

Anyone?
Martin

Postby Alex » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm no expert on mastering, but I've picked up a few clues from my friends at the recording studio:
  • The better the mix, the better the mastering result.
  • To prepare your mix, take your time to adjust the track's volumes, pan, and effects like EQ and compressor for each track.
  • Mastering is applied on the result of the mix. Export your project to a lossless format (WAV) and master this one audio file.
  • Although mastering can be achieved with DAWs, professionals usually use special mastering software. They load the wav file, view its spectral analysis, use other analyzer tools I don't know about and apply EQs, compressors, stereo spread effects and whatnot 8-)
Image Image
Alex

Postby Martin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks for the tips Alex!
Martin

Return to Support