The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

newbie both ms and midi

Get help from other users.

newbie both ms and midi

Postby markmd » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:28 am

I am brand new to iPad and Music Studio. I am a musician but new to all this. What do you recommend as best learning tool for MS besides "messing around"? manual ? tutorials?
Also I'd like to shortcut right to being able to turn "all tracks" on/off using iRig blueboard? How do I set up MS to receive this simple command through bluetooth? (I plan to start with drum/bass as jam tracks for guitar first, then the good stuff later!)
thanks in advance for your help. this app looks great!
Mark
markmd

Re: newbie both ms and midi

Postby Bianca » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 am

The iRig blueboard doesn’t send transport controls so you won’t be able to use it to start and stop music studio.

This is a limitation oft lamented on the ik multimedia forums.
Bianca

Postby Alex » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi Mark!

What do you recommend as best learning tool for MS besides "messing around"? manual ? tutorials?

Our demo videos are not brand new but they are still valid:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Xewton/videos

Also I'd like to shortcut right to being able to turn "all tracks" on/off using iRig blueboard?

It's not possible yet to map arbitrary MIDI CC commands (from the iRig blueboard) to functions in Music Studio (e.g. mute track). But that's listed as "Custom MIDI CC assignments" at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2409
Image Image
Alex

Postby markmd » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks to all of you for responding. I am using an Alesis IoDock II as part of my setup. It includes a footswitch input. Is it possible to "tell" Music Studio to stop or start using an on/off footswitch? This seems like such a simple and universally needed command and as an avowed newbie, I am surprised it is so difficult to employ.
It seems much easier than having to hit a small icon on the screen just to stop play especially from standing a few feet away when a footswitch could do the same.
All suggestions appreciated and gratefully accepted!

Mark
markmd

Postby Alex » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Is it possible to "tell" Music Studio to stop or start using an on/off footswitch?

Yes, Music Studio automatically responds to MIDI start/stop commands from the selected MIDI input, see
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=10#MIDI_IN
Simply enable MIDI input, set ports and channels to ALL, then start/stop should work.

To test if Music Studio recognizes the connected hardware, tap the black textfield with the hardware ware in the MIDI setup:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=10#MIDI_setup
Image Image
Alex

Postby markmd » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 am

Thanks, Alex - going to try all this out as soon as I get time. Is there a particular midi CC command number I should be paying attention to?
(such a newbie....)

Mark
markmd

Postby Bianca » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:20 am

markmd wrote:Thanks to all of you for responding. I am using an Alesis IoDock II as part of my setup. It includes a footswitch input. Is it possible to "tell" Music Studio to stop or start using an on/off footswitch? This seems like such a simple and universally needed command and as an avowed newbie, I am surprised it is so difficult to employ.
It seems much easier than having to hit a small icon on the screen just to stop play especially from standing a few feet away when a footswitch could do the same.
All suggestions appreciated and gratefully accepted!

Mark

Based on the IO dock manual.

Connect a single- or dual-button footswitch to iO Dock II to send CC Toggle messages that can be assigned in your
software. (Refer to your software's manual for more information on assigning these CC messages.)

Single-Button Footswitch:

If you are using a single-button footswitch, pressing the footswitch for the first time sends a data value of 127 for CC
#14 over Channel 1. Pressing the footswitch for the second time sends a data value of 0 for CC #14 over Channel 1.

Dual-Button Footswitch:

If you are using the first button of a dual-button footswitch, pressing the first button for the first time sends a value of
127 for CC #15 over Channel 1. Pressing the first button for the second time sends a value of 0 for CC #15 over
Channel 1.

If you are using the second button of a dual-button footswitch, pressing the second button for the first time sends a
value of 127 for CC #14 over Channel 1. Pressing the second button for the second time sends a value of 0 for CC
#14 over Channel 1.

I think it’s unlikely that you will be able to get Music Studio to react to a pedal attached to the IO dock without some additional software

Oddly enough on the MidiFire page there’s a bit of streambyter code for sending MMC messages after receiving messages from the IKM blueboard.
Bianca

Postby Alex » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:39 am

Music Studio ignores MIDI CC #14 and #15, it also doesn't respond to MMC.
But it responds to simple MIDI beat clock start/stop/continue messages:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_beat_clock
Image Image
Alex

Postby Bianca » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:30 am

Is your IO dock 2 still working with iOS 11 by the way? At some point the original IO dock seems to have stopped working with the adapter
Bianca

Postby markmd » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Bianca-

Yes the IODock does respond to 11 but I downloaded update recently that may have corrected whatever glitch was in there before.

Mark
markmd

Next

Return to Support