The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Unable to load ogg files

Get help from other users.

Unable to load ogg files

Postby rod » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:19 am

Trying to import ogg files via files, and they are all greyed out, mp3s show up fine. Picture attached.

Have latest version of music studio, just downloaded from itunes tonight.

iPad Pro 2 12.9, iOS version 11.3

screenshot attached showing screen with ogg files greyed out, but mp3 file showing fine.
Image-1.png
ogg files greyed out, unable to download
Image-1.png (430.64 KiB) Viewed 5039 times

screenshot also attached of directory showing that these are ogg files and mp3 file
Image-1.png
ogg files greyed out, unable to download
Image-1.png (430.64 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
Attachments
image-2.png
directory showing files
image-2.png (32.27 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
rod

Re: Unable to load ogg files

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 am

Thanks for reporting this issue! I can't reproduce it on my iPad Pro 12.9" (iOS 11.3) though, here is what I did:
  • I copied a small .ogg file onto my iCloud Drive
  • In Music Studio, I tapped Share, Files, Ok, Import
  • The ogg file showed up (not greyed out)
  • I tapped the cloud icon once to download and open it

However, I've noticed in the past on other devices that sometimes the iOS Files app is buggy regarding file type associations. Please try the following:
  • Quit Music Studio and the Files app from the multitask switcher
  • Restart your iPad by holding the home and the power buttons for about 10s until the Apple logo appears (don't slide to power off)
  • Launch the Files app and download the ogg file(s) first.
  • Once they are fully downloaded, launch Music Studio and retry importing them.

If this doesn't work, try it the other way around: In the Files app, long tap the downloaded ogg file, then tap Share and select "Copy to Music Studio".

If this still doesn't work, I would recommend using another file transfer method for ogg files, like AirDrop, iTunes File Sharing or the Dropbox app, see
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=9#iTunes_File_Sharing
Image Image
Alex

Postby rod » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Unfortunately, after copying to iCloud, things are still greyed out.

If I do transfer via iTunes file sharing, I can then locate the ogg file in the Audio folder and load it from there (it converts to wav, so now there are 2 files with the same name, different extension). I understand that it must be converted to wav for real-time playback, so I don't have an issue with that.

My issues here:

1. If I drag a folder containing multiple ogg files into Music Studio in iTunes, it doesn't move things into the Audio folder. Now I can't access this while adding tracks because it's outside of the Audio folder.

2. Since I have to drag things into Music Studio as individual files (see point 1), and there is no subfolder structure in Music Studio, now I have a mess of files to sort through. So if I want to import multiple songs, I have to do so one at a time, as the ogg files in different song folders are many times named the same (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, drums, etc). In addition to this, I don't see a way to delete multiple files at a time, so I have to import individual files (instead of a folder), put the files in a project, then go back and individually delete those files before I import another set of files that have similar names.

3. Music Studio doesn't show up as something to copy to within the files app, evidently because it's not associated to ogg on my iPad. Due to this, I have to either do the iTunes sharing and do things as individual files, or potentially use dropbox. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to copy things from my local network to the cloud, just to download it back to my iPad. Also, if I'm going to have to be connecting to my laptop to use iTunes sharing every time I want to load a file, then I may as well just stick to using a DAW on my laptop.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Please let me know. Otherwise this may just not be the right application for me and I'll request a refund. I would rather use it, but if it's just not going to work for my workflow that's fine as well.
rod

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 pm

1. If I drag a folder containing multiple ogg files into Music Studio in iTunes, it doesn't move things into the Audio folder.

Right, because Music Studio has a fixed folder structure, i.e. all audio files must be in the Audio folder.
There are 2 partial workarounds:
1. You could compress the ogg files into a zip file. When importing a zip file, Music Studio automatically sorts audio files into the Audio folder.
2. Via iTunes File Sharing, a selection of multiple files can be copied at once into Music Studio's top level folder. Music Studio will then move them into the Audio folder automatically.

So if I want to import multiple songs, I have to do so one at a time, as the ogg files in different song folders are many times named the same (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, drums, etc).

Unfortunately there is no way around this, due to the lack of sub folders in Music Studio.

I don't see a way to delete multiple files at a time

This can be achieved via the WiFi server, see http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=9#Server

I don't want to have to jump through hoops to copy things from my local network to the cloud, just to download it back to my iPad.

That's why I personally always use AirDrop to copy files from my Mac to an iOS device. Since ogg files cannot be opened directly with Music Studio in your case, zip the ogg files first, then AirDrop the zip file.
Image Image
Alex

Return to Support