The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

iMIDI

General discussion about Music Studio.

iMIDI

Postby Styrbjorn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Music Studio is a truely awesome iPhone App! I never dreamed of this 15 years ago when I got my first cell phone. I wish I had this when I was a music major... I am eagerly waiting for v1.3 so that I can unleash the well-deserved 5 star rating on the App Store, but I think my questions and suggestions will be better here.

Music Studio is a great sequencer and I appreciate the work that went into creating the high quality sounds. My main interest is electronic music, and while the electronic instruments for Music Studio are great, and I will probably always be interested in getting more Instruments (I'm an admitted 'sound junkie'), there will probably never be enough of the synth Instruments available to fully satisfy me.

My question: is it possible with the new multi-tasking feature of OS4 to have something like iMIDI? I would love to use Music Studio as the master controller/sequencer and have some of my other favorite apps (miniSynth & megaSynth) be 'sound modules'.

Also, what are the prospects for the planned audio tracks and sampling? Any rough approximation of a date? Could you create a forum for user-created sample trading?

I hope that you will continue to offer all of your future features on the iPhone and not make some things only avaialbe on the iPad. While I know that I will have to get an iPad at some point, I don't want to feel like I need to carry that around with me. Music on my iPhone is a perfect situation...
Many Thanks!
Styrbjorn
Styrbjorn

Re: iMIDI

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi Styrbjorn, welcome to the forum!

Controlling other apps with Music Studio's keyboard is not possible because with iOS 4 multitasking, apps are not really running in the background, they are just frozen for instant resume.

A forum for sample trading is a good idea, we'll think about that when the time comes. iPad optimization (in 1-2 months) and audio tracks (later this year) have priority.

We'll continue packing everything possible into the iPhone version :)
Image Image
Alex

Postby kakagoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi U all, hi Alex!
I just bought the Music Studio and the additional Instruments.... GREAT! Never thought that an APP as complex as it is, be possible on an iPhone. I´m not talking bout a DAW, it´s bout a PHONE!!!
All functions -so far as they are- are quite REALLY ok; my wishlist:

- audio import and editing
- MIDI import

and at least:

fully compatibility with Cubase 5.5, because you´re VERY nearby!

Dear Alex, You and Your Team did (and do) a very goooooooooood Job)

Joachim
kakagoo

Postby Alex » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:55 am

Hi Joachim, MIDI import is implemented since November 2009 :)

Simply enable the WiFi server (http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=9#Server) and in your Mac/PC's browser, enter the server's address and scroll to the bottom of the page. There are 2 buttons for selecting a midi (or zip) file and for uploading it to the app. After that is done, simply double tap it in the app to load it.

Audio import is coming later this year.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Styrbjorn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:22 am

Thanks for the clarification Alex!  Are there any other options?  

I want to use Music Studio as my iPhone sequencer, but still have access to the cool sounds on my other apps.  Are you working with other app companies (or Apple?) to develop a standard file format to export/import samples?  Samples would be a nice start, especially if it all happened inside my iPhone and did not require a desktop conection.  

Samples have limitations however.   I'd love to use a synth sound with the arpeggiation possible in Akai Synth Station on one track, another sound from Mega Synth on another track, and still be able to take advantage of all the great Music Studio sounds and features.  

Can apps open within Music Studio like a 'plug-in module' of a DAW?  Am I dreaming of something that isn't possible? 

Does anyone else think the current iPhone music app situation is analogous to the pre-MIDI era?

Thanks for you help!
Styrbjorn
Styrbjorn

Postby Alex » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Styrbjorn wrote:Am I dreaming of something that isn't possible?

Every app is sandboxed, i.e. it can't access other app's files per se. Several file exchange methods are possible, some of them don't require a desktop computer. We'll think about wav file exchange when audio tracks and sampling are implemented.

Plugin standards are...very far away from our current iPhone music app situation. Also, why create a new standard if there's Audio Units (AU)? The only thing is that iOS currently only supports a very limited number of default AUs, no custom ones.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Styrbjorn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks for that explanation.
I do not know what the AU are, and I am not proposing a new standard within the iOS. I was using MIDI as an analogy.
There is a learning curve with any software, even Music Studio, and I have to strategize how much time I am going to invest in MS based on a variety of factors. Where the programers plan to take MS is therefore important to me.
I like the features and general style of the sequencer you have created. If it is impossible to have simultaneous use of apps, then I suppose the next best thing will be for me to bug you about sounds. Are there any plans to create a 'synth section' of Music Studio? I'd like to be able to create synth sounds in the manner of other Synth Apps within MS.
I have purchased all of the other sounds available for MS, so it is not so much a price issue as a creative one. Do you guys plan to only offer sound upgrades for a fee? Maybe a tweakable synth would be against your strategy?
I really appreciate any help.
Styrbjorn

Postby TecWeed » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:13 am

About that "tweaked synth" remark: What I'd love to see in the future of XMS is something along those lines: Korg DS 10
Using Music Studio on an iPod touch 2G (16GB iOS4).
My YouTube
TecWeed

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:20 am

We'll see better file exchange between music apps on the iPhone in the future, Music Studio needs to catch up in this area.

Regarding future features in general, I can't say too much because if I promise some feature now and it doesn't get implemented within a few months (because maybe some technical milestones took much longer than expected), people start complaining. We would like Music Studio to be the all-in-one mobile DAW with sampling, synth etc. but if and when is uncertain.

One thing's for sure: a tweakable synth is not against our strategy.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Styrbjorn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:50 am

Thanks Alex!
I am glad to hear about your plans to develop XMS with sampling and synth features. I for one can be patient, and will not complain about how long it takes to develop those features. I hope that you will not be totally 'hush-hush' about the developments however, and let us know how new features are developing.
Thanks again!
Styrbjorn
Styrbjorn

Return to General discussion