The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Midi Presets (.sf2) to .instr Instruments

General discussion about Music Studio.

Midi Presets (.sf2) to .instr Instruments

Postby Digiquo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 am

I've found a soundfont that I very much want to use within Music Studio 2, however as I understand it, MS2 only supports .instr files as valid instruments, and it seems to be a very niche file type. I want to convert the midi presets I have from .sf2 files into .instr files. After searching the board there seems to be few affordable or 'simple' options that are not prone to error and could potentially alter the sound of the resulting instrument. Most of those solutions are quite old though, so I'd like to know if anything new has come along since then.
Digiquo

Re: Midi Presets (.sf2) to .instr Instruments

Postby Alex » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:01 pm

MS2 only supports .instr files as valid instruments, and it seems to be a very niche file type.

Right, the .instr file format is only compatible with Music Studio, it's not an open format.

I want to convert the midi presets I have from .sf2 files into .instr files.

I recently used Viena (http://www.synthfont.com) to extract wav files from an sf2 file. In Music Studio, I created a user instrument and imported the wav files onto the respective keys, pressed Auto Ranges and finished was my converted sf2 instrument 8-)

However, many sf2 files work with very short samples that are cycled with an overlayed ADSR curve and other parameters. Music Studio can partly mimic the cycle with the sampler's loop button (http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=14#Looping_samples), but it can't overlay an ADSR curve etc. In my experience, the longer the sample, the better the result in Music Studio.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Digiquo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:53 am

I recently used Viena (http://www.synthfont.com) to extract wav files from an sf2 file. In Music Studio, I created a user instrument and imported the wav files onto the respective keys, pressed Auto Ranges and finished was my converted sf2 instrument 8-)

However, many sf2 files work with very short samples that are cycled with an overlayed ADSR curve and other parameters. Music Studio can partly mimic the cycle with the sampler's loop button (http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/? ... ng_samples), but it can't overlay an ADSR curve etc. In my experience, the longer the sample, the better the result in Music Studio.

Thank you. I'd initially picked up Viena because I thought I just needed to split up the various instruments and convert them as a whole from there. I've used your method to import a Piano instrument into Music Studio, and with a little finagling I was able to get it to sound pretty much the same as the sf2, though it probably needs a few more tweaks.
My biggest gripe though is the inability to extend a note's duration beyond it's sample length. The looping feature is a joke. SF2's have Hold and Decay Volume Envelopes that make this an easy solve, but that information gets lost in the conversion process and I can't find any way to replicate it in Music Studio 2. This is the only obstacle remaining before I can really get to work.
Digiquo

Postby Alex » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 am

My biggest gripe though is the inability to extend a note's duration beyond it's sample length. The looping feature is a joke. SF2's have Hold and Decay Volume Envelopes that make this an easy solve, but that information gets lost in the conversion process and I can't find any way to replicate it in Music Studio 2.

Right, Music Studio doesn't have proper ADSR volume (and filter) envelopes to control the note length.
The only workaround I can think of is to use an .sf2 sample player with a DAW on a Mac or PC. Here is what I did when I hit a wall with Music Studio's looping feature:
  • I used Logic Pro X (you can use any other DAW) to draw one long note per octave on a MIDI track, e.g. C1 for 1 bar, then 1 bar pause, then C2 for 1 bar and so on.
  • Loaded sforzando https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/ onto the MIDI track and selected the desired .sf2 file.
  • Bounced the track to a wav file (also called mixdown or export in other DAWs).
  • Loaded the file into Music Studio's sampler once for each key and trimmed it to the respective part.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Bianca » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 am

There’s no need to use a PC really

There’s several sf2 players on iPad the best known is BS-16I

If you create a Music Studio project with bs-16i as your instrument (under inter app)
And create.a track as Alex described you can then export this as a wav file.

I then load the wav file into an app like Beattwirl ReSlice or Samplist any of which can export a zip file of the individual slices.

Open the zip file in Music Studio and create an instr as Alex described
Bianca

Return to General discussion