The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Turning my Yamaha digital into an .instru

Share your sampled instruments and kits

Turning my Yamaha digital into an .instru

Postby Cweb85 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:54 pm

This seems like it should be easy, but I've scanned the topics and haven't found it. I have a digital yamaha that I want as an instrument option in MS. I can record the audio, but of course this isn't as good as a direct digital transfer like when I plug it into the speakers of my computer etc. Is there someway to directly record that piano electronically? I.E, I don't want to record it with a microphone, I just want to plug it into my ipad with Xewton and press each note for a new instrument.
Cweb85

Re: Turning my Yamaha digital into an .instru

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 am

Which Yamaha digital piano model do you have? If it has audio output ports, you could use an iOS ("class compliant") compatible audio interface to connect your digital piano (stereo output ports) to your iPad (Lightning port).
Image Image
Alex

Postby Cweb85 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Ahhh, So you're saying there is another adapter like the IRIG? I'm an amateur, and only barely discovered the IRIG recently because I fianlly got an IPAD. So the IRIG will transfer MIDI info like note label and intensity, but not the waveform? Would you mind linking whatever adapter you recommend for transferring actual audio? And once it's linked, the MS instrument creator still acts like it's going to just record whatever comes through the IPAD microphone, will this change?

Thanks for your help.
Cweb85

Postby Cweb85 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:36 pm

And yes it has audio out, (not at home I don't remember the model). I've used my laptop before to record the audio waveform directly, I just have never seen the adapter for the IPAD but of course it must exist.
Cweb85

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:09 am

So you're saying there is another adapter like the IRIG?

Google "iOS audio interfaces", there are many on the market, cheap and expensive ones. From small cables (but don't buy a guitar cable for your piano), to fully-fledged audio interfaces like Focusrite or the Steinberg UR series. It depends on you budged, the quality that you want to achieve, and the portability/mobility of the device.

So the IRIG will transfer MIDI info like note label and intensity, but not the waveform?

There are so many iRig models...you probably have "iRig MIDI", which only transfers MIDI notes and not the waveform/audio.

And once it's linked, the MS instrument creator still acts like it's going to just record whatever comes through the IPAD microphone, will this change?

Right, once an audio device is connected, Music Studio uses it instead of the internal mic for recording.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Cweb85 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 am

Thank you. I'll give that a try and post only if it doesn't work. Appreciate the help.
Cweb85

Return to Instruments and Kits