The Music Studio community forum has moved!
This forum is in read-only mode. Please visit the new Music Studio community forum.

Longer note sustain/decay

Official update plan and feature suggestions

Longer note sustain/decay

Postby Studio4708 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:19 pm

We are really enjoying this app. Just one request: can you please increase the length of note decay on Oboe Solo and Clarinet Solo? The sound cuts off so quickly.

Other instruments have long note decay (ie Flute Vibrato).

Thanks!
Studio4708

Re: Longer note sustain/decay

Postby John0611 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:00 am

The solo instruments stop to fast because the creator of the sonatina symphonic orchestra said that he preffered the natural decay of the instruments than the synthesized decay
Visit johnmichaelvillaber.bandcamp.com for background music
John0611

Postby Alex » Thu May 26, 2016 11:46 am

That's right, the original samples are this way. Here's the link: http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net

Also, we can never change existing factory instruments, because the user's existing songs would sound different then.
Image Image
Alex

Postby Studio4708 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks for the replies and the link. I understand the need for the note to have a natural sound decay. Absolutely. However, in playing a piece with the oboe or clarinet, there is often a need to hold the note for a couple of measures. This is impossible to do with Symphonic Oboe Solo and Symphonic Clarinet Solo. Even when you hold down the note (and use a sustain pedal), the note dies right away. As such it is impossible to play certain pieces that have sustained notes.

The Symphonic Flute Vibrato is excellent. The timbre is very realistic and you can sustain the note quite long (which a good flutist can do). But I don't always want to use flute.

The Classical Oboe and Classical Clarinet sounds have endless sustain, but the sound samples themselves are very synthetic and don't sound like acoustic instruments.

There is nothing unnatural about an oboist or clarinetist holding a note for a couple of measures. I wish the Symphonic Oboe Solo and Symphonic Clarinet Solo could do so. Many famous pieces are impossible to play with Music Studio because these instruments cut off so fast. It's a pity as it is otherwise a fabulous app.

Thanks anyway.
Studio4708

Postby Bianca » Thu May 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Bianca

Postby Alex » Fri May 27, 2016 1:08 pm

There is nothing unnatural about an oboist or clarinetist holding a note for a couple of measures. I wish the Symphonic Oboe Solo and Symphonic Clarinet Solo could do so.

Indeed, but we don't have access to sustained oboe/clarinet samples other than the SSO library. That's what Music Studio's sampler is for, you can build your own instruments, for example with the samples from Bianca's link. Here's how:
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/doc/?id=14
Image Image
Alex

Postby John0611 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:01 am

You know, you can record the oboe and clarinet then put it on the sampler and loop it
John0611

Postby Lúthien » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:00 pm

I just noticed this now in MS.

Even though I understand the reason behind it, I find it odd that 'preserving the natural sound decay' takes precedence over 'allowing the musician to decide how long a note should sound' because it is much more limiting. After all, not being able to play notes above a certain length renders an instrument somewhat crippled while sacrificing the natural decay of one particular sample merely makes it sound somewhat less natural. Though, if I listen to comparable woodwind samples found in ThumbJam, they don't seem to suffer that much from being sustained indefinitely.

Because you can now use Thumbjam instruments within MS, that's a good workaround for this issue. I'd say it is worth the investment a few times over. It has a couple of very good samples like string ensemble and cello: though they do loop, it sounds very natural imo.
Lúthien

Postby Rock73 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:23 am

This is impossible to do with Symphonic Oboe Solo and Symphonic Clarinet Solo. Even when you hold down the note (and use a sustain pedal), the note dies right away. As such it is impossible to play certain pieces that have sustained notes. The Symphonic Flute Vibrato is excellent. The timbre is very realistic and you can sustain the note quite long (which a good flutist can do). But I don't always want to use flute.
Rock73

Postby John0611 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Just record the different notes, then just loop it in the sampler
John0611

Return to Feature requests